Thursday, September 23, 2010

Better Composer, Inc.

Sooooooo.... lets talk about one of those thing that no one wants to talk about. No, I'm not talking about that rash on your leg; I'm talking about what you can do to better yourself as a composer.
For myself personally, one thing in particular I would like to improve upon is my palate of instrumental tonal colors. By that I mean upon starting a piece, I usually start out at the piano (not that I am a fantastic piano player, buy its guitar or piano for me, and I feel more "at home" at the piano); assuming I haven't yet chosen what I'm writing for, I plunk around with a general feel (this pattern, this mood, this register etc.) until something sticks. I would like to go from that to thinking, "that would sound good on a flute" or "that would sound horrible if played in this register of the clarinet so lets move if down an octave".
Having not played in a wind ensemble for quite some time (i.e. since grade school) I sometimes feel that has helped me because I have no bad habits when it comes to composition, but I don't really have good ones, either.
What are your goals for improvement?

No comments:

Post a Comment