Friday, April 15, 2011

Concert Review

On April 7th, I went to Cal-State San Bernardino to see Mario Verlangieri’s guitar junior recital. It was very interesting getting to experience a concert at another music school. I got to see the different kinds of people that went there and I also noticed that their way of performing is a little different from here. The performance hall was really nice. It had really comfortable seats, a great light set, and a large stage. The acoustics were really good too. I do think Fred Lowe’s acoustics are a little better though. The concert was really nice. The guitarist was very talented. He played with great expression and feeling. His melodies stood out the whole time. It was enjoyable to listen to. My favorite piece was the first movemet of Suite del Plata No. 2 written by Maximo Diego Pujol who was born in 1957. It started out very dissonant and beautiful sounding. I admired the beautiful resonance that filled the room. The ending was very nice too. Mario did a great job with playing a melody with harmonics. It sounded really cool. It is definitely something I would love to put in one of my pieces. The rest of the songs were really interesting too. I could tell that this musician loved to play guitar. I plan on researching a little on the composer Pujol because I really liked his style and I want to someday write a piece for guitar. It was great experiencing what other college’s music programs are like and it was great hearing wonderful songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment