Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blog Assignment: 6 Weeks

I have now been here at the University of Redlands six weeks. Coming from a big school like UC Riverside, it was strange at first. On such a large campus, you blend in much easier. Some of my classes had hundreds of students. With a class that size, it doesn't really matter if you miss a class here and there because the professor doesn't know the difference, and if you fall asleep, nobody is going to notice or care. So the change to such a small campus was a big one. It's a very different experience here. And so far, I think I'm much more comfortable now. It's easier to connect with other students and I can actually get to know my professors a bit. Overall, it's a friendlier campus. I'm not saying UCR is unfriendly, but with so many students, I shared classes with people and still rarely ran into them.
Also new to me this year is studying music exclusively. I didn't switch my major to music until late last year and I only took one Fundamentals class before arriving here. I started out as a Physics major and then realized I hated Physics. Although my current work load can get a little overwhelming, it's much easier to get things done because now I'm more interested in what I'm studying. I've never been very good at balancing everything, but I think I'm improving lately. Being a commuter, I don't have a room to go back to during my breaks so I like to just sit down at a piano and either write, play around with what we're learning in theory, or just see what happens. It's a great way to pass the time and often one of my favorite times of the day.

So how are the rest of the newbies adjusting?

No comments:

Post a Comment