Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blog Assignment: Singing

Because my primary instrument is guitar, my only option to fulfill the ensemble requirement was to take choir. This is the first time I have sung in a choir, and really, the first time I've ever tried to sing seriously. Though its not my favorite time of the day, choir has had some influence on me as a musician. It has given me a better understanding of vocal technique, the nuances of a good vocal performance, and how choral music is different than instrumental music. To be completely honest, the most challenging aspect of choir is memorizing the lyrics to this french song that we have to learn! But other challenging aspects for me include isolating and focusing on my individual line, projecting, and remembering how to sing the more chromatic lines. This experience has been rewarding because it has helped me control my voice, which is very useful for sight-singing and ear training. I have definitely improved my sight-singing after a month of choir. I have also learned how to properly support my lungs when I sing. And if I wasn't sure of it before, I have certainly learned that I am not a good singer.

1 comment: